The Blue Mountains council has voted to approve a revised street naming policy for the town. According to the new policy, accepted at the March 2 planning meeting, the town will hold the responsibility for approving the names and renaming of all public and private streets. Until now, the town was not involved in naming private streets, and only had to approve names for public streets provided they were not duplicates. The new policy requires The Blue Mountains planning and building services department to compile and keep a list of proposed street names, which will each be approved by council based on suitability. They will all fall under six categories including names honouring those who have served their county, those who have given their life in public service, local history, national or international, community service and names that reflect the municipality’s agricultural and or recreational heritage or nature. The last category is miscellaneous, but not included in the six priority groups. In order for a street name to be added to this list, a written request must be submitted to the planning and building services department. The names will be checked for duplication and similarity in The Blue Mountains and Grey County, and accepted or refused by staff. If accepted, the names will be put to council for approval, then added to the list. To assign a street name, the proponent must review the list of approved names and chose a minimum of one street name from the six priority categories. At least half of the streets to be named must be assigned a name from these categories. Names up for approval must follow specific rules. The policy states that street names should be easily pronounced, recognized and use conventional spelling. Streets named after individuals must be a posthumous honour and must have the consent of living relatives. Names should not be longer than ten characters, Names should not be in conflict with others in The Blue Mountains or Grey County, they can’t be advertising, cumbersome, corrupted, discriminatory or derogatory. Names with sexual overtones, inappropriate humour, parody, slang or double meaning will be refused. Names with punctuation are discouraged. Currently, there is no list, but planning staff members are working to draft one to bring before council soon. A copy of the entire street naming policy is available at thebluemountains.ca.
The message from Municipal Affairs Minister Jim Watson is clear – either Innisfil and Barrie negotiate a boundary deal or the province will do it for them. “He wants us at the table and he wants us to work this out,” Innisfil Mayor Brian Jackson said a few hours after meeting with Watson at Queen’s Park. “He said he’s not going to allow us to let this drag on for another year.” Watson told the Innisfil contingent, which included Conservative MPP Julia Munro, that the province would step in if a settlement can’t be made that gives Barrie more land to develop. Jackson’s meeting with Watson followed a similar meeting the Liberal Cabinet minister had with Barrie. Jackson said he called Barrie Mayor Dave Aspden after his meeting with Watson to set up an initial meeting. “This would be just to lay some ground work,” he said. “We have to see if there is a foundation we can build on.” Talks were aborted last year after Innisfil left the table. A proposed deal brokered by a provincially-appointed facilitator short-changed Innisfil, Jackson said. Innisfil wanted one-acre of its employment zone in Innisfil Heights on the Hwy. 400 corridor serviced by Barrie for every acre it gave the city through boundary adjustments. But the deal would have seen Innisfil give up three acres for every acre of serviced land. There have been no negotiations since. Watson did not give the municipalities a firm deadline, although it was clear he wanted the long-standing issue resolved within the next few months, Jackson said. “He gave us a couple of dates that just weren’t feasible,” Jackson said. “I think he may have been testing us.” Watson did not suggest a provincially-appointed facilitator be used this time, Jackson said. Jackson has suggested Barrie may be stalling the process, hoping for the province to invoke boundary adjustments that would benefit the city. “I guess Barrie must decide if they’ll benefit more from a political solution than a negotiated one,” Jackson said. Coun. Jeff Lehman, Barrie’s chairperson for boundary adjustments, has said the city remains serious about finding a local solution. Watson met with the municipalities after Barrie MPP Aileen Carroll, a Liberal Cabinet minister, asked him to intervene. Carroll complained that the stalemate was stifling Barrie’s ability to develop, especially since the province has designated it as a regional growth centre.
Simcoe County should ease the burden on companies to keep jobs as well as attract new ones as it sets taxes this year, some county politicians say. With a $437-million budget that requires a 3.4 per cent tax hike, the county must now set tax ratios — that is, how to spread the bill among the classes of properties, such as residential, commercial and farm. Based on last year’s practices, a home assessed at $200,000 would see an increase of $19.59. But the county has the option of using certain tax tools to protect — and even stimulate — business. Shifting more of the tax burden to residential from industrial is one method. “Most folks in economic development recognize job growth comes from existing, not new, businesses,” said Collingwood Mayor Chris Carrier, who urged the county’s strategic Performance Management Committee to recommend the change. “We can take a leadership role. We have a diverse base in Collingwood and I do realize it would mean shifting (taxes) onto residents, but it could mean stronger employment for Collingwood and our neighbours as well.” In these tough times, giving business a break could mean the difference between being profitable and being unprofitable or locating here or going elsewhere, added Essa Mayor David Guergis. “We had a company looking to build two plants. We thought they were coming. But they went to the United States,” Guergis said. “Now the taxes are zero and the jobs are zero, and they’re gone to the U.S. The development charge loss is huge. “(A break on taxes) could make a difference on your bottom line on whether you’re profitable or not. It’s not a big burden for the ratepayers to hold jobs. It might mean $15 more and being able to keep and attract factories.” County councillors have until April 30 to set the tax-ratio policy, and are expected to discuss the issue at a strategic planning session March 31
After several battles to keep the doors to the Ontario Early Years Centre (OEYC) in Angus open, it is closing March 31. Users of the centre were given notice Feb. 27 that the OEYC on Mill Street in Angus is closing for good. The letter also notified parents that the same programming would be offered through outreach programs at other locations in the community. Losing the central location is a concern for parents who regularly use the programming. Debbie Skiffington has been bringing her two-and-a-half-year-old twins to the OEYC programs for over a year, since she moved to the area from Georgetown. Being new to the area, Skiffington said the OEYC helped her access information through resources at the site or be pointed in the right direction for services not available at the location. "It’s just been great the amount of information I’ve gotten out of that place," Skiffington said. Skiffington likes the OEYCs routine, from visiting the office to the activities it provides for her children. She said the programming reiterates things for children that they are already learning at home, like washing their hands and not wandering around while eating. The programs are also a reminder for parents, who she said regularly learn helpful tips at the OEYC. "That location means so much to the people that go there," she said. "It’s hard to put into words the impact it’s going to have on all these people that use it." As the site is cleared of its resources, why is the lingering question for Skiffington. She said every time she’s at the centre it’s busy, so she doesn’t know how usage could be an issue. "Maybe it’s just not enough," said Skiffington. E3 Community Services is responsible for the Angus and Alliston locations of the OEYC, which are satellite locations of the main site in Collingwood. The OEYC does receive provincial funding, which is given to E3 to distribute between the three locations. Over the past year, Ministry of Child and Youth Services spokesperson Cristina Brandau said E3’s OEYC funding hasn’t changed. Brandau said the programs previously offered at the Mill Street centre are going to be at community centres, churches and schools in the area. "We want to create as little disruption as possible for families," said Brandau. In continuing to offer services to Angus, the Ministry said outreach programs are the most cost-effective option. It was a year ago that Angus last faced service cutbacks. At that time, OEYC notified the landlord of the building where the OEYC is located that the organization wouldn’t be renewing its lease in June. MPP Jim Wilson petitioned the closing and the doors stayed open past the June deadline, however hours at the centre were slashed. E3 also said they were reviewing the programming in Angus. Wilson said at that time it was public pressure that helped keep the level of programming in Angus. "Keep the pressure up," said Wilson. "Don’t give up because the government made a decision, governments have reversed decisions." This year, Skiffington said she and other parents started hearing rumours that the doors are closing for good about a month ago, with the real worry starting when items at the site started getting cleared out. Confirmation came when the users received their letter about the centre. She said now that people are used to the changes in programs and hours last year, the location is actually closing. "It’s frustrating," she said. E-mail reporter Maija Hoggett at [email protected]
On your marks, get set, float. Staying afloat was the primary goal during the Great Cardboard Boat Race at the Innisfil Recreation Complex Wednesday. Grade 8 students from the public and separate school boards took part in the competition, which was as much about design and ingenuity as it was about paddle power. The program was set up by the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP). Judging of the boats was based on construction, speed, weight and team spirit. “The cardboard boat races are for students who have an interest in design and construction,” said Andrea Brulé, OYAP co-ordinator. “The event involves planning, teamwork, problem solving, and most importantly, it’s a fun and interactive learning experience for our Grade 8 students.” The students worked in teams of four and had two hours to build their boat with the provided supplies, including cardboard, duct tape, contact cement, string and a paperclip. Once they were built, students put their creations in the pool and raced with at least one student occupant. If the boat survived the race, they were entered into the weight competition where the boat must stay afloat for a minimum of two minutes with as many students inside as the teams wish. The record to date is a boat holding seven students for two minutes before collapsing.
Residents of Victoria Harbour appear to have their very own Dennis the Menace. Upwards of half-a-dozen locations were barraged last week with what police suspect to be a slingshot. “Southern Georgian Bay OPP officers have spent a considerable amount of time following a trail of destruction that was left behind by a person who was launching ball bearings at windows, lights and parked cars,” Const. Peter Leon stated in a news release. A large window at the Community Centre on Park Street, three overhead lights at the ice rink and two windows at St. Antoine Daniel School were also damaged, as were a backhoe on a McDermit Trail construction site and a number of parked cars on Robin’s Point Road. Leon said quarter-inch ball bearings were found at several of the scenes, and police suspect there may be other incidents that have yet to be reported.
After months of contract negotiations, Midland police officers will be receiving a three per cent pay hike. After talks stalled and the two sides were forced to go before a conciliator, the Midland Police Services Board and the Midland Police Association came to an agreement and finalized a new contract on March 24. Board chair Rob McKenzie said the only change in the new contract was a three per cent wage increase for the three-year contract – which is retroactive to 2008 and extends to the end of 2010. “Other than that, there were no dollar increases in any other areas,” he said, adding there were also some language changes that don’t affect the contract, as well as some small changes for clarification. The holdup, he acknowledged, was a proposed change in vacation time. Midland police officers work 12-hour shifts for four days, and had wanted to keep the vacation program currently in place, which is tied to that 48-hour workweek. The board had been trying to change it to a 40-hour week. “(The Midland Police Service has) a different vacation schedule than most other services in the province. We were trying to bring us in line with that,” McKenzie said, adding the board had offered an extensive package of fringe benefits, but they were ultimately withdrawn. “We felt it came out OK as far as the community is concerned. In light of the economic situation, the average is around three per cent increase for police services,” he said. “We have a great police service in town and a very dedicated personnel, and the leadership is excellent.” McKenzie said the board and the rank-and-file officers are satisfied by the deal: “I have no reason to feel anyone was disgruntled about it.” Calls to police association president Sgt. Mike Burrows were not returned. [email protected]
Meaford council at its regular meeting last Tuesday night approved a set of fees for residents and businesses to pay when they bring their leaf and yard waste to the new processing facility at the Operations Centre on the 7th Line. During the budget process council instructed municipal staff to achieve $35,000 in revenue from the new leaf and yard waste collection centre at the Operations Centre. The municipality constructed the new facility last year at a significant cost. It became mandatory when the provincial government stepped in and would no longer allow the municipality to simply allow residents to drop off their leaf and yard waste whenever they pleased. The new facility has strict operating standards as required by the province for how to maintain the compost material and collect the run off from the material. Operations Director Stephen Vokes recommended the following fees for the facility: $2 for one bag of material, $5 for small car load of material, $10 for a medium truck or trailer load of material and $20 for a large load of material from a commercial operation. Vokes said based on previous amounts collected by the municipality those fees should generate the $35,000 mandated by council. The leaf and yard waste facility will be open similar hours as the Transfer Station on Miller Street on Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings. The report from Vokes generated a lot of discussion around the council table. Councillor Lynda Stephens said she isn’t aware of any leaf and yard waste facility that charges up front fees to collect the material. She said the facilities she has visited charge for the compost material after the fact. Councillor Gerald Shortt said he couldn’t support charging residents to compost their yard waste. Shortt said the facility should be offered to the public free of charge as a service provided by the municipality. Councillor Jim McPherson wondered why a resident would bring their waste to the facility with a minimum charge of $2 per bag. McPherson questioned what incentive local residents would have to compost their yard waste under the suggested fees. "They can put it out at the curb for $2 a bag," noted McPherson. Vokes said McPherson is correct, but pointed out that leaf and yard waste is not allowed to be put out for pick-up at the curb. "The incentive is to do it properly," said Vokes. Council approved the report and the recommended fees in a 5-2 vote with councillors Shortt and Stephens opposed. The facility is presently open on Fridays and Saturdays with no fees being charged. The charges will be collected once a bylaw is passed by council establishing the fee schedule.
Threatening to blow up the car of your common-law wife’s mother is not the best way to snag an invitation to Easter dinner. However, a 22-year-old Midland man turned himself in to police on April 8 for doing just that. The incident in question happened March 23. The man reportedly uttered a threat to his common-law spouse and said he would blow up her mother’s vehicle. Charged with uttering threats to cause bodily harm or death, as well as uttering threats to damage property, the man was held in custody for a bail hearing in Barrie.
A guard at the Central North Correctional Centre has been charged with assaulting an inmate. Const. Peter Leon of Southern Georgian Bay OPP said he could not elaborate on specifics, including the exact nature of the alleged assault. “It is an ongoing investigation, so we’re really not in a position to disclose those particulars right now,” he said. “(The victim) did sustain an injury that was consistent with the level of assault charges that were laid,” he added, noting the person “is experiencing significant discomfort as a result of the injury.” Detectives from the detachment’s crime unit arrested a corrections officer on March 7 after receiving a complaint from an inmate. A 25-year-old Penetanguishene man has been charged with assault and assault causing bodily harm. The alleged incident occurred Feb. 9 at the facility commonly referred to as the superjail. Stuart McGetrick, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, which has responsibility for the superjail, said he is unaware of any previous cases where assault charges were laid against a guard there. “What I can tell you is, any time we receive a complaint from an inmate, it’s something that we take seriously,” he said. “It’s something that is always thoroughly investigated.” The nature of the complaint determines if it is handled in-house or if police need to be involved, he added. “I can’t talk about this specific case because it’s still under investigation,” McGetrick said. “If it’s a serious complaint, then we will inform the police straight away, but we always conduct our own investigation, as well.” In this case, the decision was made to contact the OPP. The local detachment has a team of detectives whose primary responsibility is investigating incidents at the provincially run jail. Leon, meanwhile, said there is no difference between how police treat an incident behind bars and how they respond to something that occurs in a more public setting. “(Detectives) conducted an investigation, thorough and detailed, of course, as any investigation would be,” he said. “They would go through the exact same procedure they would with any other member of the public.” Leon said he hopes the investigation will be completed by Monday, at which time more information may be released. In the meantime, the accused is scheduled to appear in Midland court on April 16. [email protected]